Monday, June 18, 2012

20 Minute Midi Skirt

It seems it's the summer of skirts here in my neck of the woods. Hope you haven't tired of them yet, because I just can't get enough of them.  : )


Here's a very quick and easy skirt that will be finished in no time; I promise!  It is made from a oh so comfy knit hounds tooth fabric I had on hand (love when I find treasures in my stash). The knit fabric makes this skirt as comfy as my favorite sweats. Love, love, love.


Don't hesitate to change the length of the skirt to fit your style. Go short, midi, or go maxi length, you just can't go wrong. 



Close up of the folded over waistband:



Here's what you will need:



  • About 1- 1 1/2 yards of knit fabric. 
  • A high waisted skirt that fits you well (preferably knit but not necessary)
  • Scissors
  • Fabric marker
  • Pins
  • Sewing machine and thread



Step 1:
Take a skirt that fits you well and place on top of your folded fabric.  Trace around the skirt, adding 1/2 an inch of seam allowances on both sides.  I wanted my skirt to be much longer than the gray skirt I was using as a pattern, so I cut the skirt pieces about 10 inches longer than my gray skirt.  

Step 2:
Next let's cut out the waistband.  Measure your waist.  Add 1 inch to that measurement. This will the be length of your waistband.  
Cut out a rectangle that is the following dimension:
 your waist measurement + 1 inch by 10 inches 

Step 3:
Check to make sure that the waistband (when folded in half) and the top of the skirt pieces are about the same width.  If not, alter the skirt pieces by tapering it to fit the waistband. 


Step 4:
 With rights sides together, sew the two side seams of your skirt pieces together.  To give it a nice clean finish you can serge or overlock the seams. 

Try it on to check the fit. If you need to the take the skirt in or let it out, do so now. 


Step 5:
Fold the waistband in half width wise.  With right sides together, sew along the dotted line below using 1/2 an inch seam allowance.





You should now have a circular waistband.
Try the waistband on to check for fit. 


 Step 6:
Check that the top of your skirt piece and your waistband are again about the same width. 


Step 7:
Fold the waistband in half, length wise, and pin to the the skirt; all raw edges should line up at the top. 


Step 8:
Sew the waistband to the skirt using a 1 inch seam allowance.


After you sew the waistband on, serge, overlock, or zigzag the raw edges to give it a nice clean finish.  



Step 9:
Fold the waistband up and press in place.

Step 10:
Hem the bottom of your skirt.



You're done!!






6 comments:

  1. Love this. On Wednesday I have a blog hop. I was hoping that you would link this to it. My web address is
    www.adornedfromabove.com
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial!! I am definitely adding this to my "to make" list. (BTW -- found you through Craftomaniac!) Following!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have listed your posting as one of my featured links for this week on my Friday Favorite Blog Links

    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/cosmopolitans-for-fridays-happy-hour.html

    Visit my blog to grab your featured blogger button.

    Sincerely,
    Debi Bolocofsky
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love this. Can I use just regular 100% cotton? Will I still be able to get it on and off if I do? I have a beautiful print I want to use for a high-waisted maxi skirt, but the fabric has no stretch. Thank you very much -- hope to make this soon! (found on Pinterest)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without a zipper or elastic this skirt wouldn't work with 100% cotton. The waist is so fitted, it would be difficult to fit over hip while still fitting in the waist. I have made maxi skirts similar to this with elastic just in the back waist band. That would also be an option. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. In fact this skirt, I made with 100% cotton and elastic in the waist band.
      http://veryhomemade.blogspot.com/2012/04/boho-skirt-grown-up-version.html

      Delete

Show me some love & comment! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...